Saturday, November 11, 2017

Digital Breakouts!

Over the summer I discovered "Escape Rooms" and went so far as to put together an awesome escape room for my sons and their friends this summer. I planned to make some for my classroom, but just before the school year started I discovered Digital Escape Rooms! I've gone crazy!

If you want to see some examples of digital escape rooms you can find one here: Sample Digital Breakout There are some free ones available that people have made that cover different topics. I used them to see what was available and how to design a breakout. I thought they were a lot of fun but didn't quite cover the skills I wanted my students to cover, so....I made my own. We're getting ready for 6 weeks' tests so I made one over converting fractions to decimals and percents.

Springing an escape room on my kids was so much fun! I posted the link in Google Classroom and turned them loose. I let them sit next to a friend and collaborate with them but each one had to work on their own laptop. I told them that there would be a prize for the first team to breakout. Once they "Broke Out" I put them on an internet math game so they were too occupied to pass on the secrets to other teams.

The "Oh! I get it!", "That was fun!", "Oh rats! It's time to go!", and other comments throughout the class gave me a warm feeling inside! I also loved hearing kids explain to each other how to do the math involved and hearing the "Ahhh's".

If you want to try this in your class, I have a variety of no-prep already made digital breakouts over ratios, fractions, decimals and classifying numbers on my TeachersPayTeachers page. More will be added as the year goes on. They're just too much fun and so great for the kids! 



No comments:

Post a Comment